Monday 8 February 2010

Happy Birthday Girl Child

Today is my daughter's nineteenth birthday, my baby is 19 ! That sneaked up on me when I wasn't looking, for heaven's sake, it's over 6 years since I was allowed to buy clothes for her.

19 years ago I was in the District Hospital watching snow fall and listening to new Mums saying goodbye to their soldier husbands who were going off to the Gulf War. Some of the women had been induced so the father would have the chance to see his child before he shipped out. It added an extra level of emotion to what is already an intense atmosphere. We wandered corridors smiling vaguely as we passed each other and despatching partners to the poorly supplied hospital newsagent for something to eat, hoping for anything other than Gummi Bears or Snickers.

She was born at 10.40pm that night and I got my piece of toast and cup of tea as a reward before going back to the ward. It may not have been very celebratory but I count that as her very first birthday cake. Since then there have been the usual constructions, (butterflies, Spot the dog and Peter Rabbit) and cop-outs ( M&S chocolate flake cake) but now she has started to bake I feel duty bound to make something for her, although I am slightly apprehensive as she can make Victoria sponges that are lighter than air.


I decided to go for Blondies, (Brownies made with white chocolate) as she is my little blonde sweetie (and I really didn't feel like making a cake shaped like the US of A or a Green Card.)
Recipe from Nigella's "Domestic Goddess", so I did flick my hair and suck my fingers a lot for added authenticity.

No comments:

Post a Comment